Happy July 1st everybody! I can’t believe it’s already July. Even though summer technically started just over a week ago, I feel like it’s flying by. I’m definitely trying to take advantage of everything: the weather, the outdoor activities and of course, the s’mores. In case you missed it, last week I decided to do something…a little nuts. After seeing the Internet basically go s’more crazy, I decided to partake in the craziness by starting “S’more of the Week.” One by one, I’ll make my way through various chocolate, graham cracker and marshmallow inspired recipes. I started off last week with my family’s s’more dip recipe, and this week I’m happy to present you with s’mores popcorn.
Yes, s’mores popcorn. It might sound a bit strange at first, but this concoction really has it all. It’s sweet from the chocolate, marshmallow and Golden Grahams, but the popcorn also gives it a slightly salty taste that contrasts nicely. There’s a great mixture of soft and crunchy ingredients too, which make for an interesting texture and satisfying dessert. I really can’t get over how rich and decadent this is. It’s one of those desserts that will leave you reaching for a glass of milk once you finish.
And luckily for us, it’s super easy to make! The hardest parts are making the popcorn and melting the chocolate, which isn’t bad at all! Just remember not to overheat your chocolate, or you will be a very sad person because you will be unable to make this delicious popcorn due to damaged chocolate. I put my chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds, stirred it and put it in for another 30 seconds. After stirring for a little bit after, I was good to go!
And one last thing: I suggest eating this with a spoon. I know – you’re probably thinking, “Tyne, that’s crazy. Who eats popcorn with a spoon?”. Well, even though I absolutely adore this popcorn, it’s also a pretty sticky mixture. Of course you have your melted white chocolate, but my Hershey chunks melted a good deal too. It tastes incredible, but it’s going to be a messy situation if you try eating it with your hands. If you want, you can wait for the popcorn to cool and eat it then. It will still be a little sticky but also more manageable. I know this because after deciding that I had all the popcorn I wanted, I stored it in a sealed container, left it there…and then decided I definitely needed some more. Even when it cools down, it’s just as addicting!
I hope you try this recipe and let me know in the comments below if you have any cool s ‘more recommendations!
Adapted from Inside BruCrew Life (yields about 6 cups)
- 4 cups popped popcorn (if you’re popping it yourself, use 2 Tbsp of kernels)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 8 snack size Hershey bars, broken into chunks (or about 3/4 – 1 cup of another chocolate candy of your choosing)
- 1 cup Golden Grahams cereal
- 6 oz. white chocolate, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the popcorn, marshmallows, Hershey chunks and cereal.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the white chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring in between.
- Set aside 2 Tbsp of melted white chocolate.
- Pour the remaining white chocolate over the popcorn mixture.
- Toss popcorn until everything is evenly coated with white chocolate.
- Pour popcorn onto a lined baking sheet (I used parchment paper) and place in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes.
- Put popcorn in a bowl and drizzle with the remaining 2 Tbsp of white chocolate. If you’d like, you can put it in a sealed container to save for later. Enjoy!