Even though I’m a big foodie, I often find it difficult to come up with a favorite food if somebody asks me. But now that I think about it, maybe it’s because I’m a foodie that it’s hard to pick a favorite food. How can you pick just one?! There’s my favorite foods when I go out in DC, when I go out back home, when I eat with my family – the list goes on and on. I can say with confidence though that although I may not be able to choose a singular favorite food, this is definitely one of my favorite “eat with my family” foods. It’s one of the meals I say if my mom asks me what I want for dinner when I’m back home (one of the others is bowties with chicken, spinach and sun-dried tomatoes).
I’m not sure if it’s strange for one of my favorite dinners to be a sandwich, but trust me, this isn’t your average sandwich. It’s giant and definitely fulfills the role of a main course. My family often pairs it with some homemade french fries, but this time I served it with a quinoa salad (coming soon!). Either way, it’s the perfect meal for a relaxing, summer night.
For these sandwiches, you can either choose to use chicken breast fillets or you can take chicken breasts and halve them lengthwise so that you end up with twice as many thinner pieces. I used two chicken breasts, but you really just need enough to fill up your focaccia bread, so do whatever works for you! Oh and by the way, apparently if you ever want to impress a group of people (or at least a handful of young 20-somethings), all you have is make these giant sandwiches. You will be seen as some kind of wonderful food magician, which is enough of a reason for me to make them again! 😉
Spicy Chicken and Arugula Sandwiches (serves 4)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast fillets OR 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise
- 1 Tbs. fajita seasoning
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 3 Tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. grated lime rind
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 round focaccia, halved
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups arugula
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with fajita seasoning.
- Add chicken to pan. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until done.
- While chicken cooks, combine mayo, cilantro, lime rind, and lime juice. Spread evenly over bread.
- Arrange chicken on bottom half of bread. Top with tomato and arugula and cover with top half of bread.
- Cut into 4 wedges and enjoy!